Nyasha Matonhodze Zimbabwean Super Model Face of Louis Vuitton

A 16-YEAR-OLD Zimbabwean teenager has become the unlikely face of Louis Vuitton’s autumn/winter 2011 campaign.

Nyasha Matonhodze, who now lives in Northampton, England, joins five other up-and-coming models in the luxury French fashion label’s campaign.

Matonhodze, who was raised by her grandmother, moved to England with her mum at the age of eight.

It was not until 2009 that she got her break in modeling when she walked into prestigious Elite model agency in her school uniform – driven only by a dream.

But only in her wildest of dreams would she have dreamt that just two years later, she would be the face of a luxury brand like Louis Vuitton.

Now she follows in the footsteps of Madonna and Scarlett Johansson who have starred in previous campaigns for the fashion label.

"My eyes filled up with tears and I thought 'Lord you are lucky!'" she said of the moment she discovered she had been chosen to star in Vuitton's campaign, photographed in a vintage car at a disused Brooklyn aerodrome.

"It didn't actually hit me until I was sat in a Rolls Royce sitting eye-to-eye with Steven Meisel [renowned fashion photographer]. He is a wonder to work with, he and Marc Jacobs [Vuitton's creative director] made me feel beautiful".

In addition to the Vuitton campaign, Matonhodze has also been photographed for top US fashion magazines Harper's Bazaar, and Teen Vogue.

"Nyasha is not only very beautiful she has the little extra thing you can’t quite put your finger on," a spokesperson for Elite said, "She is intelligent, graceful and people who meet and work with her instantly fall in love with her. I have no doubt she has the potential to go all the way."

Matonhodze was booked for Vuitton’s autumn/winter 2011 catwalk show at Paris Fashion Week in March, starring alongside veteran models Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell.



ZIMBABWEAN model Nyasha Matonhodze has been revealed as one of the faces of luxury French fashion label Louis Vuitton’s 2011 autumn/winter campaign. The confident Nyasha’s poise and maturity belies her 16 yearsof age.
It's her statuesque grace (she's five foot eleven) and sweet-as-pie personality that's made her the new favourite of fashion editor Katie Grand, who kick-started Matonhodze's career during her debut spring2011 season when she booked the young model for Louis Vuitton, Emanuel Ungaro, and Loewe — all shows that Grand styles.

After those key catwalk sightings, Matonhodze shot spreads for Harper's Bazaar, Teen Vogue, and V magazine. Better yet, she got the contract with Louis Vuitton, shot by renowned fashionphotographer Steven Meisel and styled by Karl Templer.

This is The Truth About: Nyasha Matonhodze



Born: July 31, 1995

Hometown: Harare

Current City: Northampton, England

Tell us a little about your childhood.
I was born in Zimbabwe and raised by my grandmother in a very cultural, traditional household. It's much different than the British culture where my mom lived. I moved to England when I was eight, so I do stillhave memories of Zimbabwe -- falling asleep in the sand, bathing outside, the warmth of the sun, and just the way of living.
Moving to England, I saw their perspective on Africa and what they think it's like, and it's completely the opposite. I went back to Zimbabwe three years ago and it's so lovely; they're happy with who theyare and their traditions. I love going back home.
How did you get discovered?
My discovery wasn't a discovery. At 14, my mum and my stepdad went into Elite Models to see if I could actually model. Since I was 12, I was tall and thin so I would always get the whole "you should be a model,"but I never really developed a serious interest about it until America's Next Top Model. Seriously, that’s when it all changed for me. Everything I wanted was pretty much based off that show.
I went into this career thinking I could be a model, but I never thought I'd actually become one. Once I signed with Elite, I was entered into the Elite Model Look competition, where I became a finalist. Assoon as I turned 16, I walked for Jonathan Saunders [Scottish fashion designer].
You've appeared in spreads for Harper's Bazaar and Teen Vogue, what do you make of it? Do you recognise yourself?
I find it difficult to see myself and think that I'm a model. I feel blessed and honoured to keep getting that next step in my career. I've met amazing people that keep supporting me and pushing me furtherand further. It's like a dream, no matter how good I do, it's still so surreal for me.
What can we expect from you in the coming months?
I'm going to surprise you. But I must say that Katie Grand [British stylist] has to be one of the best people I've ever worked with, and I hope that I never stop working with her. She's genius!
Who are some of your best model friends?
Ajak [Sudanese model]. Usually you have to try hard to make friends, but with her, we found a comfort zone and just clicked instantly. She's talkative and bubbly, kind of the opposite of me. I adore her.
Let's play favorites, what's your favorite:
Music: I love soul and gospel music. Music affects people's moods. If you’re going to listen to loud, angry music, you might want to go punch somebody. I like to feel more grounded, earthy.
Books: The Bible because not only does it tell people how good they are, but what we can do for others.

Film: Sister Act II, it's such a classic!

Artist: I love photography. I really liked working with Jason Kibbler and Daniel Jackson.
Foods: African foods like sadza, especially if my aunts make it. But I also love seafood, and Chinese food with all their intricate spices.
Tell us a secret.
I'm goofy. Models are often thought to be these glamorous creatures, but I don't think I'm so glamorous with me sitting on my bum eating Ben & Jerry's Cookie Dough ice cream at home.
What's the last thing you bought?
Well, I didn't really buy this, but I got an awesome trade from Malandrino: a navy jumpsuit, a V-top, and a little cute leather jacket.
What's your most favourite and least favourite feature about yourself?
My least favourite feature are my ears; they're so small! For positive, though, a lot of people tell me I have a lot of compassion for others. I care a lot about people and when I help others, God blesses mewith other things. What I hate is seeing a person who doesn't appreciate themselves. Of course I have my insecurities; we all do, so I try my best to make people confident in who they are.
What scares you?
Oh my gosh, spiders. I have a little brother who's 12, and every time I see one I make him come over with his sneakers to squash them. He actually used to pick them in his palm and set them outside, and I wouldalways tell him to just squash them. Spiders are just so creepy.
Describe your style.
Plain, but bold. I love prints: leopard or any animal print. If I'm wearing black, I want a little bit of pop to my outfit.
Life motto?
Morally, I think one should be nice to everyone. There's no reason for anyone to feel like they're on top of the world.
I'm sitting here talking to you and I can't believe you're only 16-years-old, as you seem incredibly mature for your age. Are you really 16?
[Laughs] Thank you. I think most of my wisdom comes from my dad and my mum. My dad always taught me the Christian way of life. And for my mother, she was a single mother at 18 who moved to London withoutknowing anyone. She's always worked hard and seeing her overcome so much in life has been an inspiration for me. She's so successful now, and I want to be like her.
Tell us something about modeling most people don't know.
If you're not strong-minded, modeling can knock your confidence quite harshly. Every day you're judged on your look, and more so today you're judged on your personality. With that said, a lot of us are 15 or16-years-old, so some girls could really take the criticism personally. What we have to understand is that there's not something wrong with us per se, we just aren't a right fit with the client.
If you could change one thing about the industry, what would it be?
I'd have to say the media's perspective on modelling. They always make it seem as if it's an easy task, like models don't have to work hard — I'd like to change that. I want people to see the real side of modelling,and not just the glamorous.
Lastly, any goals in modeling?

Enjoy it.

Nyasha Matonhodze's Career Highlights

31 JULY, 1995

Born in Zimbabwe

2003

Moves to England with her mum

2009

She is discovered when she walks into Elite model agency in her school uniform

2009

Becomes finalist in Elite Model Look

2009

Signs contract with Elite Models in Paris and Milan

SEP 2010

Debuts at the spring Louis Gray show in London; also walks for Loewe, Jonathan Saunders, Emanuel Ungaro, and Louis Vuitton

NOV 2010

Appears in Wonderland editorial, photographed by Xevi Muntane

2010

Signs contract with Marilyn Agency

2011

Appears in spring issue of V, photographed by Peter Funch

FEB 2011
Walks the fall Halston, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Michael Kors, Emanuel Ungaro, Loewe, and Louis Vuitton shows in New York and Paris
MAR 2011

Appears in editorials for Harper's Bazaar and Teen Vogue
APR 2011
Teen Vogue features Matonhodze as a face to watch

May 2011

She is chosen to appear in Louis Vuitton’s autumn/winter 2011 campaign, shot by renowned fashion photographer, Steven Meisel
(interview by New York Magazine)